There was once a period in Nigeria where no party was complete without this red coloured drink.
This refreshing drink is made from dried Roselle plant flowers (Hibiscus sabdariffa) and can be taken either sweetened or unsweetened. You can tweak the recipe to suit your preference by adding any fruit of your choice.
When making this drink, it is advisable to put on an apron to avoid staining your dress with the red colour because it would be almost impossible to wash out the colour from your dress.
The Roselle plant used to make the zobo drink has some nutritional benefits which makes the drink healthy.
- It speeds up the metabolism and help in healthy, gradual weight loss
- Acts as a natural diuretic
- Aids appetite
- Satiates thirst
- Rich in vitamin C, minerals and various antioxidants, while also helping in the treatment of hypertension and anxiety
- Promotes kidney functioning
- Relief from cramps and menstrual pain
- Aids urinary tract health
- Promotes cardiovascular health
- 2 cups of dry zobo leaves
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- 3 teaspoons of chopped ginger
- 1 sachet of pineapple flavour (or any fruit flavour of your choice)
- 7 cups of water
- Sugar or any sweetener to taste ( optional)
- Wash the zobo leaves thoroughly in cold water, to remove dirt. Do not worry about washing the colour away.
- In a pot, add the washed zobo leaves, flavour , ginger, garlic and water.
- Boil for at least 30 minutes to soften the zobo leaves.
- Use a sieve to separate the juice from the ginger, garlic and zobo leaves.
- To remove the tiniest particles, you can drain the juice a second time by pouring it through a clean chiffon cloth.
- Leave it to cool in the refrigerator.
- If you have a sweet tooth, once chilled,add any sweetener of your choice and stir.